Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I'm on the Ride 2 Recovery (R2R) Florida Challenge

I was invited to participate in the Ride 2 Recovery (R2R) Florida Challenge. They found someone to sponsor me and they have loaned me a R2R bike with Shimano SPD-SL Road Pedals.  Wow, what a challenge, but I believe it won't be such a challenge when it becomes automatic.  I'm having trouble clicking out on my left side though.  That ankle is weaker.

I'd like to thump the person who named this type of pedal "clipless" over the head.  You clip in and out and I'd say you clip more than less because you clip out whenever you stop and clip in when you ride.  Grrrrrr.

I had the honor the first day riding with Barbara and Wayne Stetina, who I affectionately refer to as the Shimano Man.  I'll ride again today with Barb and Wayne will ride with the fast riders.   They start 45 minutes to an hour later and eventually pass us. 

So far, this is a much easier ride than the Golden State Challenge.  It was a really flat day, an Alameda flat day. ;-)  Anyway, that's for me who's been riding for over a year and the professional cyclists I'm sure, too.  We have new learners on the ride so this is probably a bit challenging for them, but they are troopers.  

The clipless pedals are my challenge.  I didn't fall yesterday ;-).  I took the knee pads off for the ride yesterday and I told John I'd take the elbow pads off tomorrow. 

Off to breakfast and then to ride Day 2 of the Florida Challenge with America's finest.

Always,

Debi
AKA Deborah Palmer

No comments: