Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A great way to help America's injured military in their recovery

Matthew Harris and I are still raising funds for the Ride 2 Recovery (R2R).  Our goal is to raise $15,000 to further R2R's mission and goals.  I introduced my cycling buddies who are helping me with my training in my blog about the first time I climbed Tunnel Road and I said in a previous blog, I’d introduce you to Matthew.

Introducing Matthew Harris 

Matthew is a graduate student at the California School of Professional Psychology (CSPP).  I met Matthew when I spoke to his neuropsychology class about how a traumatic brain injury (TBI) changed my life.

You can read why Matthew wants to participate in the R2R here(Scroll down to comments.)

How YOU can help US help America's injured military: 

1.   Make a personal donation.  No donation is too small and every donation is equally appreciated.  So far, donations have been anywhere from $5.00 - $250.00.

To donate online or obtain the address to mail a check or money order to sponsor Deborah Palmer, go here.

I acknowledge sponsors* on this blog UNLESS they request anonymity.  I put only the first name and the initial of the last name unless I get approval and I don’t mention the amount donated.

2.    Spread the word about the Ride 2 Recovery Program.  Encourage your family, friends, co-workers and colleagues to donate.  Ask THEM to help YOU spread the word and help US help America’s injured military.

The Internet is the cheapest, greenest and fastest way to spread the word. To learn what the Ride 2 Recovery (R2R) is all about, watch and read the following:
You can also link others to my first blog  where I introduce the Ride 2 Recovery and I ask for a donation.

For those familiar with Twitter, Facebook, etc., will you kindly spread the word among your social network and link your contacts to this Blog or the Ride 2 Recovery (R2R) home page and ask them to sponsor Deborah Palmer here?   I'm pretty ignorant about social media, but plan to get up to speed within the next year.

If you’re an individual willing to collect donations for this worthy cause, please consider using the 8.5 x 14 Flyer that has a place to add the name and phone number of the person collecting donations.  Consider putting it up at your workplace and offering them to businesses you patronize that might be interested in raising money to help America's injured military.
For those you know who don't use the Internet, share with them the R2R Fundraising Flyer here.


If you are affiliated with an association, club, for profit or nonprofit business, will you pass the hat at social gatherings and meetings?  You can mail a check or money order or use a credit card here.


Let me know via E-mail, if you'd prefer I come and pick up the funds you raise or talk to the group about why I'm participating and let me ask for donations.  Please note I might be a little red and sweaty upon arrival because I may incorporate my training in by riding to your location ;-) unless it's in San Francisco.  Cycling alone in SF is too scary for me.

3.  Participate in the Chevys fundraiser in San Francisco on Thursday, September 9th and/or in Mountain View on Thursday, September 16th and/or the Applebees fundraiser in Alameda on Monday, September 20th. This is an opportunity to spend time with family and friends, contribute to the economy, but most of all contribute to the healing of America’s injured military. 

I'd be very grateful if you'd download a few flyers and share them with your family, friends and coworkers or link them to the flyers via this blog.
 
Download flyers on this blog
at the top left of the page under Fundraisers until the event.  I will remove them after the event.  You can also link to this information on the calendar, but PLEASE don’t forget to bring the applicable flyer!
 

I thank you in advance for considering a donation and/or participating in the Applebees or Chevys fundraisers to benefit this worthy cause.

Always,

AKA Deborah Palmer 

NOTE:  *If you have donated and did not request anonymity and have not been acknowledged, did you write Debi Palmer in the memo section of your check or money order?  I should have registered with the name I usually sign my E-mails with and not my given name (Deborah Palmer).  Please contact the R2R and let them know you intended to sponsor me and I'm sure they'll credit my fundraising.  Thank you and I apologize for the inconvenience.


 

My bike and vehicle are a "No Phone Zone?"   Are yours?   
I signed Oprah's No Phone Zone PledgeHave you? Will you?



No comments: